Saturday, March 15, 2008

Maple Syrup

We met with the Byrnes at the Farmparks today to learn how to make maple syrup. Well, we watched how they make it in a hugemongus steamer thing (yeah, I missed the name of it during the demonstration - too busy taking pictures). So, below we have the sap bucket in the Maple tree...40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup (sold for $42.00 at the store). I think Rania will have me tapping the sugar Maples soon. It was pretty cool....The steaming machine below is fueled by wood and flows out the sugary sweetness once it hits 179 degrees. I dipped Cecilia's pha-phu (pacifier) in it and she loved it.

After the steaming syrup machine display, we took a wander to taste the free pancakes..then off to see the new baby lambs which were very very cute. I never knew that they liked to sleep & stand on their mothers...
Check out the big mama pig down below...who couldn't love a face like that?..................z

2 comments:

Maureen said...

oh looks like fun--I like the piggy picture!
:)

Maureen said...

when are you going to do a new post!?

Are you guys finding out boy or girl?

Did you see my blog--we put a pic of the ultrasound up?